Thursday, April 28, 2011

So easy a caveman could do it.

I have never met a real life Caveman, just saw the one's on the nifty Geico commercials. But, from what they are capable of doing on those commercials it leads me to believe that picking up after themselves is something they could also master. I mean seriously, is it that hard to rinse off your dishes, put your dirty clothes INSIDE the clothes hamper, (this is assuming that they are packing their clothes to the laundry room) put shoes in the closet, and other general items in their place of belongment. (I think I just invented a word).

• Let's start with the dishes; I do not own a dishwasher and if I did I probably wouldn't use it because the model that would be in our price range wouldn't clean the dishes to my liking, I'm sure. I hate scrubbing stuck on food off of plates, collecting sippy cups that my children hoard in their rooms, or washing every cup we own in one sink load. Get a cup, drink from it, reuse it. Do not get another cup every single time your pour yourself a drink. There is no need in my dish drain having 521245798443 cups in it at one time. Geez.

• Laundry; this subject has been blogged about several times and I'm sure will be several more times in the future of my blog. Our laundry hamper has a lid. It's nothing fancy, just a round white plastic hamper that just happens to come with a lid. How hard is it to pick up the lid, put clothes inside and replace the lid on top? There can be nary a stitch of clothing inside the hamper and for some reason my husband and kids still pile their dirty clothes ON TOP of the hamper lid. Maybe I am just being over obsessive, but this drives me nuts.

Also, washrags. If I do not remove the wet washrag myself, they will pile up until every single one we own is lying the in tub. One day I decided to boycott the removal of dirty rags and let them all pile up while I used my loofah during showers. My husband wasn't happy when he had to shower with a dusting cloth. This got his attention for, oh a day, then he continued leaving his rags piled in the bottom of the tub like before. Oh. My. Goodness. What's a mom to do?

• Everything has a place and being the OCD control freak I am, I am not happy unless everything is in it's place. Now that we have an inside dog, a puppy at that, I am constantly telling my kids they can't leave their shoes at the door, or toys in the floor, etc. They never listen of course. The dog gets a hold of things and chews them up which generates a bigger mess for 'me' to clean. Not to mention added frustration of things being destroyed just because they weren't where they belong. A subject I preach about often. I don't blame the dog, he's just being his puppy self. It's your own fault if you leave your stuff laying in inappropriate places for the dog to nab. But of course, I am left with the aftermath of it. The dog also likes to steal laundry. He doesn't do anything with it besides hide it under the bed but he enjoys thieving laundry, I can't figure out why. Maybe it's way of torturing me like the kids do. Just gives me something else to do as if I don't have enough already. But I am not bitter, this is my job after all.

One day my kids will grow up and our house will be lonely & quiet. Although this will be years and years down the road if it ever occurs at all. Having four children it is inevitable that I will have a house full of grandkids. I try not to stress over the small things and let them be kids. But, there is ONE of me vs. 4 other beings living in this house and if it isn't too much to ask, they could figure out how to help out every now and then. I am not a supermom, I do not own a cape. I'm almost certain it isn't too complicated for even a caveman.

No comments: