Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Just Stay Little

Someday's I feel like raising kids is so demanding & I find myself saying "I will be glad when they can do more for themselves." That thought leaves quickly when they figure out something on their own, however. My son has practically potty trained himself, I'm so proud but at the same time I know he is growing up on me. My 4yr old wants to pick out her own clothes and dress herself now. My 7yr old asked me not to attend her Christmas party at school because 'she's too old for that now.' Everyday they become a little less dependent on me in some way. It's bittersweet. I stay so busy the less I have to do just makes my life easier but it also saddens me. They grow up too quickly. Before I know it, they will be grown and starting families of their own. I don't know how I will feel when I no longer have little ones at home. When they go to visit their grandparents the silence is depressing. I enjoy the quiet but I'm also counting down for them to be back home with me. When my husband and I have a date night the kids are always the topic of conversation. I'm excited for the baby to get here because I will have a tiny helpless being that is totally dependent on me for it's needs. Sadly, it too will grow up. I cherish everyday that my children are little. They sure don't stay little long. That being said, I am still getting my tubes tied after #4 arrives! :)


3 comments:

Blog said...

lol, just stay little... it is quite lovely been in that atmosphere though kids and happiness are fruits of or a goal of pure intentions before being involved, I'm still remembering these days of infancy and feelings of dependency on my parents...happy new year

Bev said...

Boy am I a good one to talk to about "the empty nest" and "Silence is NOT golden" in this household. They do grow up fast. I heard that so often. I tried to not let the little things worry me so much.... I tried to let them play legos on the dining room table and keep the fort up they built for weeks... it's hard to not want my "clean house" all the time but boy I would love to have those barbies and legos and GI Joes around my house now. Now it's just the dog toys , no more ballgames, track meets, band competitions and practice , no more being gone SIX nights a week ! Boy do I miss the days you're having... so you're correct... they grow up fast and enjoy them all Ashley while you have them! One day they'll be grown !

Kelli B said...

I can totally relate to this post. My oldest went to big kid church a few weeks ago and I sat in the pew and cried! It was stupid, I know, but he just marched up there being so independent! I always want him to be more independent, and then when he is, I cry. Geez, mommy hormones! :)