Monday, March 28, 2011

Scary dreams, school bullies & other disturbing headlines.

I am a mother. I worry. More than I probably should. But it's in my job description.

First the good news; my daughter has not been caught in another lie, nor caught taking anything else since my husband and I sit her down, had a long talk and grounded her for the weekend. We faced the situation head on and it's been resolved... let hope it continues.

Now on to the next situation at hand; scary dreams and school bullies.

She has waken through the night frequently saying she is having bad dreams. Won't go back to sleep in her room and has to lay in our bed for awhile, then eventually she will go sleep the rest of the night on the couch. I can't figure out what is causing them. She doesn't watch anything scary or violent on TV, her sugar intake is very limited and we do not allow our kids to have caffeine. So, where are they coming from? I feel so helpless. She's even scared to the point of crying when an Orkin commercial comes on and she sees the big roach they use in the commercial. She says she has dreams about big rats and bugs that are after her. We have been telling her to say her prayers at night before bed and maybe God will take all her bad dreams away.

Now about the school bully; everyday when she gets off the bus she is upset because this student always sticks her tongue out at her when she is walking up her driveway. I told Catie to not look out the window at her. But, she says this little girl will yell for her then call her a loser when Catie looks. I also suggested that she just ignore her and eventually she will stop. When what I really wanted to say was "stick your tongue out at her and say it takes one to know one" but that wouldn't be very appropriate motherly advice. HAHA! Kids these days can be so rude & cruel.

Other disturbing headlines recently have hit close to home. Last week a 15 year old boy shot & killed both his guardians. Police say the motive was because they wouldn't allow him to have his 12 year old girlfriend over at their house. I just can't imagine how troubled one has to be to commit such a crime at any age, but especially at 15 years old. The reason it is overly disturbing for me is because he lives and attended school in the same county as my children. In just 5 years my daughter will be out of Elementary and in Middle School. He could just as easily brought that gun to school and opened fire on his classmates. It horrifies me that she could be attending classes with children capable of such acts. I know I shouldn't worry about it now. But, when I watch the news everyday and see things happening all over the country to children her age my mind just won't let me forget it. This is one of the reasons I don't even know why I watch the news in the first place. It's all bad.

We do our best to teach our children right from wrong, punish them appropriately when they need it, lead by example and pray that you and your children make the right decisions. At the end of the day that's all we can do as parents. I just hate feeling so helpless and knowing there are situations my children will be faced with that I can't control. No matter how much I try to shelter them from all the evil and bad in this world, they will be faced with it eventually. We just never know what each day holds. Life was so much easier when the biggest thing to worry about is what your going to buy them for their birthday or what brand diapers to put on their little tushes. The older they get, the bigger their troubles are. We have to do our best and keep pressing on regardless of what life throws at us.

No comments: