Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Small Town Living

I love where I live. It's just a speck on the map that no one has ever heard of. Everyone knows everyone, and if they don't know you they know who your married to. Everyone waves at cars passing by and everyone speaks when they see you out. When you go in the bank they know you by name. You can even charge your groceries or gas the local station and pay on your next visit. It's so peaceful to live in a place such as this. I wouldn't trade small town living to live anywhere else in the world.

Now, the trouble with small town living is; everyone is always in your business. For example, my husband and I bought a new living room suit, a much needed new one I may add, our other one we had for over 7 years and it had been excessively used.. anyways, while packing our old one out, everyone that drove by our house rubbernecked. I'm sure they were thinking "are they moving." You literally can't do anything in privacy.
That however, doesn't bother me as much as the talk. I will use this for an example: "oh my word, she is knocked up again?!" Yes, I am pregnant with my fourth child. So what? I can not express to you enough how sick to death I am of people sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. Does it really matter if we have 4 kids or 14 kids? They are our children, we raise them, we love them, we were blessed with them. My grandmother gave birth to 10 kids! Years ago it wasn't uncommon to have a dozen. So why does 4 sound so extreme in this day and age? No, I don't plan on having any more after this pregnancy. But if I did, it's none of anyone's business. That is between me, my husband and God to decide, not you. Every child is sent to this earth for a reason. God chooses the parents for each angel he sends down. I am so very thankful to have the 4 angels he sent to me. I am blessed beyond words that each one is smart, happy, beautiful and most importantly, healthy.

And a note to everyone who judges us for our 'amount' of children: no one is asking you to be happy for us, either you are or you aren't. But don't pretend to be then go behind our backs and make comments about it. If we want to buy all new furniture and leave our old sitting out in the front yard, we will. If we want to run around our house in our underware, not that we do but if we wanted to, we will. If I want to be barefoot and pregnant every year for the rest of my life, I will. This is our life. So shut your small town mouth.

1 comment:

Kelli B said...

I live in a small town also. There are about 1600 people in our town. This morning I went into the flower shop and there was a sign on the cash register saying "I'll be right back." I wandered around and looked at things for 10 minutes before the lady came back. When she walked in, she said, "Sorry, I ran home to get a sandwich." Oh small town life, I love you and I hate you."