Monday, May 16, 2011

Better known as Mommy

For 8 years, since the age of 16, I have been a Mom. I have worked a few jobs to help keep the bills paid. For the past 3 years I have stayed home with the kids. Being a Mom is what I do, it's all I do. I have always put my kids first in every situation. Every decision I've made, even if it wasn't the right one, was made for my kids. I've always tried to give them the best life and best living situation that I possibly could. Looking back, I see so many things that I could have handled differently but we have to learn as we go and hope for the best. At times I've struggled on being a Mom and a Wife, and doing both adequately.

Yesterday, my husband and I were talking about everything we had going on this week ahead, like we do every Sunday. I reminded him what days he had to leave work at what time and for what reason. Every single thing involved the kids. School functions mostly. He said to me, what do parent's do that aren't able to take off work and be so involved? I replied, I guess they just aren't as involved as we are. That lead us into the conversation of how being a Mom is all I know how to do. I am known as Catie's Mom, Kayley's Mom, Caleb's Mom or Miss Ashley the Girl Scout Leader (which was also done for my kids). I wouldn't have it any other way, I enjoy the opportunities to be so involved for my kids. So much of my time now is spent at the school, doing things for the school, running errands for the kids, keeping a nice home for our family and so on. I never want to feel like I don't have a purpose.

One day all my kids will be in school, I won't be needed as much as far as staying at home. And the older my kids get the less involved they will want me to be. I want to have something to fall back on. I will always be a mom but someday I won't just be known for being one, as much as I am now. I'm not sure that makes much sense, but it sounds right to me, ha! Someday, my kids won't depend as much on me as they do now. In a few short weeks I will be starting my classes for Early Childhood Education. It will be tough since being a mom consumes my entire life right now, but it won't always be that way. The older they get, the less I will be needed, the less time I will spend doing things for the school, the less my life will be consumed with doing the things that keep me so busy now. And one day, I will be known for more. But, when you break it all down, this next step in my life is also being done for my kids. To give them a better life, a better role model and to show them that if they set their mind to something, they can do it. No matter what it is and how hard it is to accomplish. Anything is possible. Every decision I make, every journey I take and everything I do is done for my kids and always will be until the day I take my last breath. Being a Mom is who I am, it's what I do, it's how I live... no matter how old my kids get.



No comments: