Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Parent's Curse

I've been told by my parent's, like everyone has, "I hope one day you have a child just like you." Yes, we were all cursed by our parent's. The one liner that all parent's use and one day they hope it will come true. The older my children get, I am starting to think 'my curse' was lost in translation or slightly altered.

When I was a kid I remember being in my bedroom hours on end playing with my Barbie's, baby dolls, Playing school etc. I was entertained by my imagination and I played with every single toy I had. Many times my mom would have to come to my room to tell me it was time for supper, bedtime or bath time. On days with nice weather, I was outside. I do also remember being a little mouthy, slamming doors on occasion and maybe even stomping off when I didn't get my way. That is normal to an extent.

My kids are nothing like I was at their age, and yes, I confirmed this with my mother just to prove I wasn't delusional. My children never, and I mean never touch their toys. My girls have baby dolls with changes of clothes, strollers, carriers, bottles, high chairs, Barbie's with mansion, cars and all accessories. Kitchen set with all dishes and food ever manufactured, as well as any other trendy toy made. My son has race tracks, cars cars and more cars, tractors, power tools complete with work bench, toy guns, stick horses.... You get the idea.

What I do not understand is why my kids insist on following me around the house, under my feet complaining because they have nothing to do?!? Maybe it's just this generation of children, but my kids are very ungrateful and unappreciative of all they have. I try to tell them stories about kids being less fortunate, threaten to donate all their stuff to charities, nothing I do or say will get them to try to open up to their imaginations. It is literally driving me crazy. Yesterday, I was in my room folding clothes on the bed and all 3 of my kids were standing across from me watching. When I told them to go find something to do they replied " We don't have anything to do". UGH..

For these reasons; I am convinced my 'curse' was altered to further torture me. I don't want my kid's hiding away in their rooms all the time like I did as a child but every now and then would be a nice and welcome change. I also think the eye rolls, stomping off, screaming, spitting, temper tantrums, slamming doors, throwing things, holding of breath and any other dramatic outburst my kids partake in were exaggerated in my curse.

One day... I hope my children have kid's that are JUST LIKE THEM :)

No comments: