Saturday, May 7, 2011

City Wide Disaster

This weekend was the annual city wide yard sale in our neighboring county that we attend every year. I usually have really good luck and come home with a car load of bargains for very little money. I get excited about the first Saturday in May every year because of this event. After today, I may have a different feeling about attending next year.

First off, the town that the event is held in is undergoing road construction. So on a normal day the traffic is crazy. Throw 150 rednecks along the sides of the road with their wagons of junk, and everyone and their grandma trying to maneuver their vehicles in and out of the chaos, you are bound to have some entertainment or at least some aggravation. We stop at yard sale after yard sale and find nothing. If they did have good things, things I was looking for, it wasn't the right size, price or gender. All baby items were for girls, go figure. Then I spot a yard sale that might be promising so in bumper to bumper traffic my husband tries to pull in only to run off in a huge hole that bottoms out our car. Luckily only one front wheel ran off in it, so we got enough traction to back out of it. How embarrassing. Of course this sets my husband's already impatient mood over the edge. Thankfully, no damage was done. But I didn't get to go to the one sale I could have had luck at.

While back on the road from the huge crater incident we witness a brawl. Apparently a woman had pulled out in front of a man in his flashy Mustang. He showed his hind end big time. Squalling tires and smoke rolling, he pulled into the parking lot behind her literally hanging out his window and calling her everything but a white woman. I felt sorry for the poor lady but she didn't take his crap. In just a few seconds there was a big crowd and she was in his face pointing her finger at him. We couldn't hear exactly what was being said but we did get a good laugh at the ridiculous comotion as we drove on.

We then go to Dairy Queen for some breakfast. Another disappointment. I ordered a bacon & cheese biscuit and my husband ordered biscuits and gravy with a side of sausage. Simple enough. All the cars ahead of us in the drive thru were asked to pull over the the side and wait for their order, we were then asked to do the same. After waiting for 25 minutes I went inside to see what the hold up was. Our food hadn't even been made. There was about 20 angry people standing by the registers complaining because they hadn't got their food either and the parking lot was full of waiting cars. I demanded my money back because I simply didn't want to wait until supper time for my breakfast. We settled for McDonalds.

At this point we were both ready to just come home. The day had been a big enough disaster, it was gloomy and looked like it could rain at any time. On our way home we stopped at one last yard sale and finally had some luck. I got a John Deere bookshelf for the boy's bedroom for only $1 as well as 2 candle sconces for $2 and my daughter 2 pairs of Children's Place shorts for $4.

Better Luck next year I suppose.


No comments: