Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Following my yellow brick road

I have never ever ever been good at deciding anything that has major importance. I have mentioned before at how indecisive I am. I have been enrolled in 3 different colleges since I graduated high school, 2 in a classroom setting and 1 online. And have no degree. The first college I attended was 40 miles away from where I lived and I had a baby and a full time job, fresh out of high school and no life plan. I was studying Medical Assisting. I did really good in all my classes despite how hard it was on me. But, eventually the stress took over and I had to postpone my studies to work and be a mom and wife. A few years later I tried an online college to study Medical Office. Once again, stress of being a young mother, having a full time job and having no clue what I was doing as an adult took over and I couldn't finish then either. I decided I did not want to start pursuing another education that I couldn't finish so I just focused on working and raising my daughter. Then over the years we had another daughter and a son and now another on the way. So I was labeled Mommy with no hope of ever having a career.
Last Summer I said to myself, yes, you are a mom and wife but that doesn't mean you have to be held back from accomplishing something that is so important to you. I worked retail, I worked in food, I had factory jobs and I knew without a doubt that when my kids got older I did not want to be in that type of setting my whole life. So last Fall I enrolled in a technical college closer to home with hopes of becoming an LPN. I did not even make it through my CNA class before I knew this was not the career for me. I have always wanted to work in the medical field, even as a child I would play nurse. But in reality, it wasn't something I saw myself doing. I felt like I violated the manikins we had to practice on in class. If I felt that way about a plastic body, how would I feel about a real person? It takes a special person to be a nurse, but I am just not cut out for it. I felt like such a failure once again for not being able to finish what I started. But I knew I was not going to give up that easy.

After talking it over with my Husband we both agreed that while I am home with the kids I needed to do some type of studies but it definitely didn't need to be in a classroom. We just can't afford a daycare for the kids while I have class. Just being in college with 4 kids would be stressful enough so I wanted to make sure I chose a path to make it easiest on us all. So, I have been looking into online colleges. I actually graduated high school from the school I am looking into and loved the way it worked. I was also able to graduate a year early. I was already in college when my class were Seniors. I know I can do this, I was/ am a good student and I have never been more driven to accomplish this than I am now. I told myself 2011 was MY year to do things I have been dreaming of and make a good life for myself and my family. If I do this I will be the only college graduate in my family. Sometimes as mothers we have to put our dreams on hold to raise a family, and that's okay. But I am not giving up on my dream of wanting to help people.


This is where the indecisive part comes in. I am between the careers I want to pursue. I loved the Medical Office program I was in before so I considered looking into the Medical Administrative Program. But, after having my Girl Scout Troop I have enjoyed working with kids more than I ever thought I would, who knew?! Ach hmm.. Mom of 4. So I am also looking into Early Childhood Education. Here comes my dilemma. If I were to choose ECE I have to make sure that my degree I would be receiving from an online college would meet the requirements of the State of KY, since they vary from state to state. So far, I haven't been able to get the information I need on that. I guess overall that will be my deciding factor. I want to enroll in a near by University's Distance Learning program but considering my high school diploma was online, I don't think I meet general admission requirements. I want to have a degree by the time my 2yr old is in school so I can hopefully go to work and will only have to worry about daycare for 1 child. But, I just can not do it unless it's online. I would hate to know I spent 2 years studying for something, earn my Associates Degree and not be able to get a job with it. This grown up stuff is hard, whew! But, hopefully with enough thought and plenty of prayers I can make the right decision and finally accomplish something I have been trying to for 7 years now.
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

U can do it ash. Ive known u 4 many years now and u r strong minded and u will do what u plan on doing. I know what ur going thru I'm doing it myself. Just keep ur head up and if u ever just need to talk I'm just a phone call away. I strongly support whichever decision u decide to make and wish u the best n what u do.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Hi! I saw your post by chance on NetworkedBlogs and popped over to have a read through...
I can totally relate to the studying mum thing! I've got an active 15mth old boy, and a girl due in 6 weeks. I finished my undergrad degree in Primary (elementary) teaching 1.5 mths before having Jonathan, and have since enrolled part-time, by distance, in Masters of Gifted Education. No, it's not easy, but I really enjoy the chance to use my brain and to kinda still be doing teaching! My parents take Jonathan on Mondays, and that's my study day. My husband would probably also prefer me to do more on weeknights, but I'm not that dedicated :P