Sunday, February 6, 2011

Saturday Disaster

Yesterday was a full schedule for the kids & I. I cleaned house & did laundry most of the morning, got myself & the kiddos ready to venture out for 2 birthday parties & to go shoe shopping. I do not understand how my oldest is so hard on her shoes. We usually have to buy 2-3 pair of tennis shoes within one school year. Yesterday made her 2nd pair within 5 months! Anyways, I'm getting off subject.. We had also made plans to take the kids out to eat for supper last night as well.

Getting myself & 3 kids ready to go any where is a task all in itself. The hair, the clothes, shoes, jackets etc. We had to stop to buy a gift for one of the parties then it was off to the shoe store. This is where all H-E double hockey sticks broke loose. I was so embarrassed at how my kids acted in the shoe store I literally had tears in my eyes! While attempting to try shoes on both the girls & keep Caleb from tearing down the shelves & shoes boxes, not to mention keeping him from throwing shoes all over the store & trying to put them back on the shelf in the correct spot.. I started having contractions! Braxton Hicks of course, but still uncomfortable! I also kept having back pains that hurt so bad they almost brought me to my knees. I honestly think it was from wrestling a 35 lbs kid (15lbs over my limit). I made the comment in a FB status that my kids acted like 3 hyena's on meth, and it was no joke. Although I'm not sure exactly what hyena's on meth would act like, I'm pretty sure they played the role well! Caleb is always a handful to take in any store, but the girls wouldn't cooperate either, which is unusual for them. They were arguing, wouldn't listen to me when I asked which shoes they liked, yelling at each other. I felt eyes on me, I know people had to be staring. But, I focused on the task at hand & got out of there as quickly as I could. Somehow I managed to get both the girls new shoes, in the right sizes & under the spending limit my Husband set for me! I was so mortified & exhausted by the time we left the store I just wanted to go home right then & go to bed! I took the gift in at the first party while leaving the kids sitting in the van, apologized and left. Had the 2nd party not been my Best Friend's son I would have dropped off that gift as well. I made my Mommy threats on the drive to the 2nd party, took a deep breath and prepared myself for the possible chaos that awaited me.

The kids actually behaved while at the party! Except for my son trying to eat a cigarette butt, it went well! I kept telling the kids over and over to be careful with their food... then managed to drop my plate upside down in the floor. The kids of course didn't spill a crumb, so I guess the joke was on me. Heading home from the party I debated whether or not I still wanted to go out to eat or just cook at home. My exhaustion decided for me, out to eat it was! At least my husband would be there to calm the situation had it gotten out of hand. We decided on Chinese, the kids were well behaved there as well. Needless to say, I had a good nights sleep last night. Just goes to show that kids are always a blessing but can very well be a nightmare. Doesn't make me love them any less! It does make me wonder how life will be taking 4 kids out alone. As the saying goes I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

1 comment:

Kelli B said...

I feel your pain! We have had outings like that where I swear the boys sat in the back seat and conspired against me! Of course, it is always while you are by yourself, never when hubby is along! I am glad you got some good sleep last night.